How to apply for student financial support (BAföG) for study abroad

Do you wish to study abroad or undertake an internship?

As a student, you can receive support for your studies.

Amount of suppor

  • The amount of support is the same as for studies in Germany.
  • In addition, there are top ups for study abroad. You can receive
    • Up to 4,600 euros for a maximum of one year for tuition fees which can be proved to be necessary.
    • For travel costs:
      • For students within Europe: for a return journey, 250 euros per trip
      • For students outside Europe: for a return journey, 500 euros per trip
  • For any additional health insurance costs
  • For higher living costs in case of students outside of the EU and Switzerland: depending on country, from 30 euros per month

Child care supplement

Should at least one child of your own under ten years of age live in your household, you can receive a child care supplement in addition to the fixed amount. In case of new approvals, this amounts to 130 euros per child. For ongoing approval periods, you will receive this amount from October 2016.

The child care supplement is paid as a full grant. Therefore, it does not need to be repaid.

Type of support

The supplement for the tuition fees will be granted in full as a subsidy. Therefore, these do not need to be repaid in the future.

You receive both the support which is granted beyond this and the other supplements. In both cases, half is a subsidy and half is an interest-free state loan.

Start of support

The support will begin

  • on starting the studies or internship abroad or
  • from the month in which you submitted the application.

Duration of support

For studies at an institute of higher education abroad

  • Within the EU or Switzerland: until completion of studies.
  • For studies in a country outside of the EU or Switzerland: up to one year, in exceptional cases, longer when undertaking higher education.

Onlineantrag und Formulare

Kein Onlineantrag und keine Formulare vorhanden.

Zuständige Stelle

Depending on the "target country": special Student Unions for the BAföG foreign grants

Note: You can find the relevant department in the "Directory of Grant Offices" (Verzeichnis der Ämter für Ausbildungsförderung) on the website of the Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung. Information on the relevant Student Union for your "target country" can also be obtained from the Foreign Student Office (at your institution of higher education.

Warum soll ich einen Ort angeben?
Mit Hilfe der Ortsangabe können wir die für Sie passenden Informationen, Formulare, Dienste und Ihre zuständige Stelle anzeigen.
Welchen Ort soll ich angeben?
Zum Beispiel Ihren Wohnort, wenn Sie einen Reisepass beantragen wollen oder den Unternehmensstandort, wenn Sie ein Gewerbe anmelden möchten.

Service details


The requirements for the support of study abroad are as follows: 

  • The requirements for the support of studies in Germany are fulfilled.
  • Permanent residency in Germany
  • Equivalence of the foreign place of education with a higher education institution in Germany.
  • The studies abroad are carried out on a full time basis.
  • The studies last for at least six months or one semester (should the studies take place within the framework of an agreed exchange with the educational institution attended, this must last for at least twelve weeks).

The requirements for the support of internships abroad are as follows:

  • The internship abroad is connected to attendance at a college of higher vocational education, academy or university in Germany.
  • The internship is necessary as part of professional training and is regulated in the national regulations concerning internships.
  • The internship must last for at least twelve weeks.
  • The internship abroad is beneficial to the studies.
  • The educational establishment and the responsible examination authority recognise that the internship placement complies with the requirements of the examination


The application for student support must be submitted to the competent body in writing. Please use the corresponding forms. An informal application will suffice for complying with the deadline.

You can submit the filled in forms by hand or by post.

You will receive written notification in the form of an approval notice. In case of a positive notice, the competent body will transfer the payments to you monthly in advance to the nominated bank account.

You are not entitled to support in Germany during the period of study abroad. You must therefore notify the competent Amt für Ausbildungsförderung that you are studying abroad.


You should submit the application at the latest six months before the start of your stay abroad.

Required documents

  • Same documents as for the application for support in Germany.
  • In addition, form 6
  • Proof concerning:
    • Student enrolment
    • Study place at a place of higher education abroad
    • Travel expenses
    • Health insurance
    • Tuition fees

The competent body will inform you concerning further necessary documents.

Processing time

Please submit your application for funding abroad as soon as possible.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Wissenschaftsministerium released it on 04.08.2016. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.